Most people here are familiar with the staff ranks, although not everyone knows exactly what their responsibilities are. We try outrbest to match staff to the responsibilities they are best suited for. Sometimes people are put into positions that are more in line with the immediate needs of the server than where they fit best.
Several months ago we were in a position where there were no active MIB, and I was doing all the Owner responsibilities, as well as the MIB work, and still trying to do Moderator stuff when none were online. Lets just say stress levels were high at times. That is part of what lead to DazzlingGarnet (aka Derkwizzerds) being promoted to MIB as soon as he inquired about it. TryHardTroll was also put on the fast track to being made MIB at that time. They have both been very useful in that postion, but looking at the list of responsibilities below, TryHard is significantly more skilled for 1-6, while Derk seems to have a nack for 7-12. Both are exeptional at number 13. Keeping this in mind, we are now asking Derk to concentrate on those areas as well as training staff, and helping to make sure needs of the server are being met in terms of available staff, resources, etc. There may be some smaller details worked out later. So, technically, he's still in the same position and level of authority, but has a cool new title that better reflects the duties we want him to concentrate on.
1) monitor and adjust server as necessary to maintain best performance.
2) install, remove, or modify plugin files or config files as necessary to insure continued function.
3) provide oversight, advice, and mitigation for any event or activity which may adversely affect the server or game play.
4) Perform timely backups, remove old files to stay within size limits, search for updates for all files in use frequently.
5) Install updates after checking to insure that updates will not generate server errors.
6) identify new plugins/mods which may be useful/entertaining/beneficial to the server.
7) monitor Officers, Mini-Mods, Moderators, and Event_Masters for rule compliance.
ban, demote, mute, or temp-ban those individuals breaking the server rules.
9) monitor the console to track activity and assign Officers/Mini-Mods/Moderators to investigate as indicated.
10) pass copies of the log to the server owner/s upon request.
11) mitigate disputes between senior players and Owner/s.
12) Design, build, or implement improvements/adaptions/constructs that support the server in a long-term, sustainability sense.
13) Be cool, hang out, drink cold ones, wear dark glass, and zap people so they are only left with the dim realization that you are cool, without remembering the details.
14) execute temporary or permanent bans (subject to Owner approval) of players or staff as necessary to insure server operations are not impacted.